Radicchio Cups With Spiced Chickpeas And Sweet Potatoes
Sappho Hatzis, recipe developer for Bluestone Lane in New York City, created this flavorful vegan meal that makes a great summer lunch or light dinner.
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- sprouts to garnish
- tahini to serve
- 1 radicchio lettuce, leaves separated and kept whole
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 beet, peeled and grated
- 1 cup washed cilantro leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 can of organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil and roast whole for 40-50 minutes – time will vary depending on the size. This can also be done the day before and used cold.
Toss the grated carrot and beet with the cilantro leaves and half of the lemon juice and season with salt. Set this aside.
Melt the coconut oil in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
Add the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, and coriander and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Next add the drained chickpeas, stirring until warmed through and coated in spices. Season with salt, remove from the heat, and dress with a big squeeze of lemon.
Fill the radicchio cups with chunks of roasted sweet potato, raw salad, and spicy chickpeas. Drizzle with tahini and top with sprouts.
Makes approximately 8 filled cups